Senior Commercial Underwriter-Waltham, MA Area
One of the leading commercial leasing firms in the Greater Boston area has partnered exclusively with AMS to help them fill a newly created role in their credit department. The Senior Commercial Underwriter is a key component to the company’s overall growth strategy. The Senior Commercial Underwriter will report to AVP-Credit Underwriting and will have significant exposure to senior leadership.
This role will focus on underwriting commercial credit applications, and through collaboration with the sales team, move them through documentation and funding. This role will also sustain and enhance business credit relationships on an on-going basis, analyze businesses to make recommendations regarding credit and credit worthiness, and lead the work of others. This role would be responsible for product line process management and oversight in area of specialty. Be able to apply sound judgment and appropriate field/discipline concepts to analyze and structure a deal, utilize extensive experience and judgment to shape and accomplish goals, as well as assist in business and staff development.
- Manages loan applications and prospective customers assigned that involve significant amounts after sales representative screening. Interviews customers and prospects.
- Conducts thorough, comprehensive business and organizational analysis to form a deep, broad, accurate, and up-to-date understanding of that business’s health, capacity, and capability to appropriately utilize and fully repay its loan in a timely manner.
- Analyzes financial statements and loan collateral. Keeps current with economic and market data in area of specialization.
- Underwrites and adjudicates loan applications and negotiates loan terms and conditions within lending authority, balancing the prospects’ needs with Company’s risk profile, growth, and earnings goals.
- Presents applications outside of lending authority to Credit Committee; recommends loan structure and terms and conditions in respect to same transactions.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with other staff to complete loan transactions, promote internal teamwork, facilitate learning, and enable organizational effectiveness.
- Assists sales representatives in maintenance and development of key channel relationships.
- Accountable for relationship management functions of portfolio including ensuring that each customer delivers financial information and other compliance reporting in conformity with its loan agreement.
- Prepares and delivers reporting and insight to management in respect to industry trends and portfolio performance.
- Provides mentoring, guidance, and training to other staff on a consistent basis.
- Recommends process improvements and helps drive them down through the department. Supports organizational initiatives including new market assessment, organizational readiness, and standard operating procedure or process re-engineering institutionalization.
- Ensures the security and confidentiality of private customer information. Protects against unauthorized access to or use of customer information that could result in harm or inconvenience to customer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting or equivalent relevant experience.
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in a commercial lending capacity with substantial credit authority, preferably in mid-market level deals.
- Track record of success in fostering, sustaining, and developing profitable business relationships, preferably with small business entrepreneurs.
- Prior experience coaching employees, building teams, and developing teamwork strongly preferred.
- History of working efficiently and effectively while multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, following projects through to completion, and maintaining high quality.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Expertise in commercial credit and pertinent laws.
- Excellent business, financial statement and collateral analysis, research, sales, interpersonal, customer service, written and verbal communication, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and Access.
TO APPLY: Please forward your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements to:
Bob Pavao email@example.com