Director of Finance and Administration-Just-A-Start Corporation
Just-A-Start (JAS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Cambridge, MA, dedicated to creating opportunity, strengthening community, and improving lives. Since 1968, JAS has operated as a multi-service agency focused on affordable housing, community engagement, workforce development, and educational initiatives. To fulfill its mission, JAS relies on federal, state, and local funding sources as well as support from corporate, charitable, and community organizations.
The Director of Finance and Administration will report to the Executive Director and manage the day-to-day financial operations, financial reporting, grant accounting and reporting obligations, implementation of month end closing processes, collaboration between real estate and other programs/departments, process improvement which includes documentation of written policies and procedures, and implementation of needed systems such as new accounting software, payroll system, etc. S/He will also ensure the following:
- Assure sound fiscal management of the organization’s resources.
- Maximize return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems.
- To lead and ensure value added financial support is provided to all the departments and programs within the agency.
- Serve as senior management lead for all financial matters and to the Board Finance & Audit Committee and to Board as a whole on all financial matters.
- Assure proficiency in all aspects of accounting and associated reporting requirements and regulations.
- Development and implementation of goals, policies and procedures relating to accounting and financial reporting.
- Direct the annual budget development process for use with internal management and external parties.
- Accountable for cash management and creating/maintaining strong banking relations.
- Responsible for accuracy, integrity, and management of general ledger, financial analysis/reporting, and internal controls.
- Produce accurate and timely monthly financial statements, including budget to actual projections for income statement, cash flow and balance sheet.
- Oversee the finance team and manage the continual improvement of systems and processes.
- Oversee timely, accurate and effective execution of core fiscal operations, including accounting, accounts payable, billing, purchasing, payroll operations and all required external reporting.
- Direct the coordination and execution of the effort necessary to assist the external auditors for both the agency and affiliates.
- Assist with special projects, technical accounting analysis and ad-hoc reporting.
- Oversee completion and filing of all corporate income tax returns.
- Supervise and manage finance staff of accountants, office manager and payables assistant.
- Responsible for human resource activities including employee benefits, retirement plan compliance and reporting, corporate insurance and related activities.
- Serves on organization’s senior management team.
- Requires bachelor’s degree in accounting or related experience. Advanced degree desirable, MSA, MBA or CPA and a minimum of eight years of directly related experience
- Experience with not-for-profit organizations with diverse public sector funding and contracts. (Prior experience with Dept. of Labor and HUD funding desirable)
- Analytical self-starter who can produce quality work in a timely fashion
- Strong emphasis on teamwork within the organization and motivation to support the mission of the organization with external audiences
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants should review the JAS website, www.justastart.org, to familiarize themselves with JAS programs before applying. Applicants should then submit a resume and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org describing their qualifications, interests, AND potential contribution to JAS. Also, please do put “JAS CFO” in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
Just-A-Start, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.