Chief Operating Officer – MHA-NYC
MHA-NYC is a multi-site not-for-profit organization with increasing programmatic needs and mission demands. Over the past few years the organization’s budget has grown from $25m to over $35m with corresponding increases in staff size and organizational complexity. The organization is primarily funded through city, state and federal contracts, however, funding streams are increasingly diversified and include contracts with private sector entities. In addition, programs are increasingly data driven and technology based.
The Chief Operating Officer will provide the leadership and strategy that creates organizational structures and processes that support scalability and growth. The Chief Operating Officer will play a critical role in ensuring that the Organization’s operations, financial systems, HR capacity, facilities planning and related processes and results keep pace with the mission fulfillment.
The agency seeks a sharp, hardworking, self-starter who is entrepreneurial in nature with excellent managerial skills and experience overseeing nonprofit operations. The Chief Operating Officer will oversee and provide strategic direction to Finance, HR and Facilities and work closely with the Directors of Finance and HR to analyze and implement policies and processes that will lead to enhanced effectiveness and efficiencies. In addition, the Chief Operating Officer will work cross-functionally to ensure that HR, finance, and facilities needs are met.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Working closely with the President and the senior leadership team, set the strategy and goals with priorities towards implementation.
- Assure that an appropriate organizational structure and infrastructure systems are in place to support programmatic objectives and ensure for delivery of quality services while managing for current and future growth.
- Ensure the resources, staff and systems are in place to support further growth and excellence.
- Oversee the operationalizing of an agency strategic plan, driving staff to translate organizational goals into departmental action plans
- Finance Department
- Ensure that finance department workflow and processes are designed to achieve optimal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Consult with finance, IT and others to ensure that adequate, secure and compliant finance department technology and systems are in place.
- HR Department
- Oversee comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of the organization.
- Support development and implementation of comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost-effective for the organization.
- Consult with HR, IT and others to ensure that an integrated, secure and compliant HRIS system for payroll, recruiting and performance evaluations is in place.
- Facilities Planning
- Oversee facility operations, ensuring maintenance and compliance
- Anticipate and plan for future facilities needs.
- Business Development
- Assist in the development of business plans and proposals for new projects and products
- Assure that Finance and IT infrastructure is in place to absorb new business demands.
- Master’s degree in Business or related field and a minimum of 5+ years of progressively increasing managerial experience in a non-profit setting.
- Strategic and process minded individual.
- Thorough understanding of finance, management systems and processes.
- Broad exposure to range of operational functions, including finance, information systems and technology and business analysis.
- Track record of facilitating progressive organizational change and development.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively manage people and projects and work within a team.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills.
- Experience with city, state or federal contracts and third party reimbursements a plus.
To apply, please send your resume/professional credentials in confidence to:
Octavia M. Gilmore, Sr. Executive Recruitment Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org