Chief Financial Officer – Usdan Summer Camp for the Arts
Accounting Management Solutions, a CliftonLarsonAllen LLP Division has been retained by Usdan Summer Camp for the Arts to conduct a search for a Chief Financial Officer.
Usdan Summer Camp for the Arts is the nation’s preeminent not-for-profit day camp. Usdan has been declared a “Best Of” camp by TimeOutNY/Kids, and by NY Metro Parents, and the camp has been profiled in feature articles in “The New York Times” and in “Time Magazine.” Usdan’s mission is to provide children with the arts as a lifetime companion. This mission is realized through the inspiration of a world-class faculty and the camaraderie of fellow students whose bond is their love of the arts.
Usdan is situated on a 140-acre woodland campus in Huntington, Long Island. Each summer, 1,500 students, ages 4 to 18, travel to Usdan daily on buses that depart from neighborhoods throughout the New York metropolitan area. The camp provides programs for students regardless of advancement. Admission is based on interest. Some programs may require an audition and/or interview. Usdan welcomes students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin. Usdan is an especially inviting and accessible institution where children of every ability thrive. Usdan is a beneficiary agency of UJA-Federation of New York.
The Chief Financial Officer will play a critical role in developing and implementing the overall financial strategy for Usdan. As a member of the Executive Team, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with the Executive Director & Board of Directors. S/he will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants. Usdan has a budget of $7 million. The CFO must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in a collaborative and deadline-oriented workplace.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Financial and Operational Management
- Administer all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate Generally accepted accounting principles, regulatory requirements; maintain internal controls, safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Prepare fiscal data, control cash flow and forecasting. Optimize the handling of investment relationships in partnership with finance committee and vendors.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Lead personnel, benefits and payroll administration; revise, create and run efficient employee related programs.
- Manage and track the performance of Usdan’s depreciations schedule, insurance and pension programs.
- Direct the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the compliance infrastructure.
- Provide reports on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the board and senior leadership.
- Serve as fiduciary for Usdan’s & finance committee/board of directors.
- Assess organizational performance against annual budget and other strategies. Trouble shoot anomalies, develop tools, systems and provide critical financial information; make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Support the vision of the ED and help ensure ongoing alignment between financial, operational, and programmatic objectives.
- Manage Finance Committee around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery; oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with Usdan’s strategic plan.
- Represent the organization to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors and public officials.
- Participate in key strategic projects and lead vendor engagements related to finance as needed.
Team Management & Collaboration
- Mentor and develop finance team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Guide larger, cross-divisional teams outside of direct span of control.
- Collaborate closely with the Executive Director.
- Offer ongoing support to constituent corporation leadership and boards.
The CFO will be a seasoned, mature leader with at least 10-15 years of broad finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting, followed by experience gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. S/he will have experience managing the finance function (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) and compliance functions within a non-profit entity. The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of an MBA; CPA strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of and experience with Nonprofit Finance a must.
- Highly technical; quantitative analysis and reasoning; financial metrics.
- Experience with Fund EZ preferred.
- Demonstrable passion for Usdan’s mission; a hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the Executive Director of a non-profit organization; strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly recognized organization. S/he will have the luxury of spending summer months on beautiful Long Island-and is encouraged to bring the family along. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Usdan is prepared to offer a very attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 401(k) and vacation benefits.
Usdan has retained AMS | a CliftonLarsonAllen LLP Division to spearhead our search efforts. To apply please send your resume and note of interest to Octavia M. Gilmore, Senior Executive Recruitment Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Usdan is an equal opportunity employer.